Thursday, January 04, 2007

Once more, please...

At around noon on New Years Day, after hours of meandering through Tokyo had already passed, it occured to me that my friends and family back in the states still hadn't even reached 2007 yet! What a strange feeling...

But now that everyone has entered the next year, I can officially say HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tokyo, as usual, did not let me down. The New Year was rung in as unforgettably as the last...only this time it was with three amazing ladies, one boy and drama right to the last second (literally). We were forced to make impromptu plans at the last second and ended up running to Tokyo Tower just in time to see it light up with the delightful news that we had in fact made it to 2007.

On New Years Day, I was invited to join my friend Lisa at her family's house for New Year's Dinner. Honestly, I was too amazed to take pictures...which I am regretting now. The food was beautiful displayed (and delicious) and the family was...unforgettable. They welcomed me in, made a toast to me (in English!), gave me New Year gifts and made me feel like part of the family.


The next day was shopping with Lisa, Dawn and Yuka down in Shibuya. And then yesterday, after spending the entire afternoon with Yumi, I went out with Lisa and her Mom to the first Kabuki performance of the year at the Kabuki-za theatre! I've used "unforgettable" twice already to describe my trip, but really...that's the only word I can use now. To be sitting in Japan, in Tokyo, watching an ancient art form be performed was just...mind blowing. Many of the women were dressed in kimono, including my dear Lisa, who looked like a Japanese princess.

My vacation isn't over just yet, I have a few more days and I intend to see it out to the last. But I wanted to quickly update and say that I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years and is excited to see what 2007 holds. I know I am. I have a feeling I'm in for quite a ride...

<3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was anxiously awaiting an update after your Tokyo trip and was so happy to see one today. The picture is beautiful too. Everything you described sounds like a dream to me...I'm so glad you had such a great time and your friend Lisa's family sound absolutely wonderful. Your family are coming home from Florida tomorrow afternoon and then its back to school again for your Mom. In spite of the fact that she came down with laryngitis the day after she arrived in Florida, she sounds OK again and has had a good rest I think. It's been 80 degrees there all week! Earl Gray is sitting on my lap as I write this. Thinking of you always, Love Gramma