Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In Hiding...

The onset of another cold, an icy bedroom, a nightmare that left me shaking and not enough sleep was how I began my day and my work week. Had it not been for Dawn banging on my door to check on me, after I sent her a message entitled "panic," I probably would not have gone in to work today....

It's January, and even with the daily splendor of being in Japan, I am still affected by the cold and the lack of sunlight. Winter just makes me tired. It's too cold to travel or even explore my own town. It's too dark to be industrious. I scurry to work and then hurry home, finishing my chores as quickly as possible so I can hide under my blankets.

I wake up each morning and ache for spring to come. I never seem to tire of walking out the door and being instantly greeted by warmth, bright sun, cool breezes, endless sky, bustling animals and all the colors of nature. It doesn't matter how tired I am...a sparkling, warm day enfuses me with energy and hope, making it impossible to just sit home. I even love the rain when it's warm....more often than not, on a warm day I'll opt to walk home without an umbrella...

I'm holding my breath until that first warm day greets me again and I'll know that my adventuring spirit will come out of hibernation soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there.
you're in japan right now... what??

Anonymous said...

Another cold? Bummer! Sure wish your room wasn't so cold at night --and that I can't do anything about it...
Your mom and I feel the same as you about days without sunshine -- think
"this too will pass". On a happier note -- the days are very gradually getting longer now. Look ahead!
Gramma