Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Inching forward at the speed of light

With a sink full of dishes and an apartment which I recently described as "an explosion" - I have spent the night listening to my new crush, Josh Kelley, and sending introspective e-mails. (And when I say "listening" what I actually mean is listening to the same song on repeat...I'll get to the rest of his music later.)

About two weeks ago, my manager stopped by my classroom to briefly go over my six month review. During our conversation all I could think was "SIX MONTHS?!" After she left, I went to the calendar and counted the months just to make sure there wasn't some sort of mix-up.

I seem to waver between feeling like I've been here my whole life and I've only just arrived. The experiences I've had, the friendships I've developed...it's a lifetime's worth. But...somehow, it just doesn't seem like six months have passed. I could swear I was just carting my suitcase through customs and stepping into Japan.

Yet...even despite the exotic setting and the fervent passage of time, a feeling of homogony is beginning to set in...and it's time to get away and break things up a little. This weekend, in attempt to 'creatively' travel (creative=cheap), Dawn and I are going to spend the weekend in the big city of...Nagoya. It's not quite a trip but it's certainly not a weekend of, well, same-old same-old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"army had a half day."

Anonymous said...

that sounds amazing. i am kindof surprised you have been there six months too...
I miss japan a LOT LOT and I want to spend summer/next year there... when are you scheduled to be there til? sometime during the summer if i remember right... i'll message you.

ps: do those mail messages on your keitai cost money?