Sunday, April 15, 2007

Fall behind...Spring ahead...

I have definitely fallen behind, as Spring races ahead at full speed. In an attempt to catch up, I've turned down Sunday plans to clean, organize and update.

A lot's happened since I came back from Korea (though, admittedly, most if it was me trying to get well). But - one thing at a time....today's entry is only about Seoul.

It isn't fair to try and experience any city in three days, much less an entirely new culture. But Mika and I did the best we could, with the help of her incredibly kind Korean friend Jin. (Jin and Mika met while studying English in Canada.....so, the only language we had in common was English. Which was great for me, but strange, nonetheless.) In my brief, whirlwind visit here were the few interesting observations Mika and I made...

- In Japan, no one speaks English, allowing you to say ANYTHING in public at any time. In Korea, everyone speaks English. We learned this the hard way.
- Korean men are MUCH more attractive than Japanese men.
- Koreans are, in general, much taller than Japanese. I didn't feel like a lumbering giant for 3 whole days.
- Unlike Japan, Korean customer service is much more like American customer service (non existant)
- The Korean alphabet can be learned in 3 days or less
- Despite being so close to Japan, Korea is surprisingly different from Japan. They are INCREDIBLY Westernized. The buildings, the cars, the stores...it all felt like the downtown of any American city.
- Just because your currency is in 10,000s doesn't mean you have a lot of money.
- Don't try to convert 10,000 won to 750 yen to 1 dollar. It just doesn't work.
- Don't laugh too hard when your friend uses in a payphone at the hotel front desk to call her friend but accidentally calls the...hotel front desk. (Perhaps you just had to be there but there's really nothing funnier than seeing your friend turn around, look at the receptionist and say "I'm talking to you, aren't I?")

The pictures are here of course.
Mika has a few more I'd like to post, but I haven't gotten my hands on them yet.

Stay tuned...pictures of Arden and Dawn in the Okazaki Samurai parade will be coming soon....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Arden! this is elaine; i don't know if you remember me because we didn't get to talk that often, but I'm in japan with Valerie right now and we went to Hiroshima this weekend and Vie thought she saw you- but i guess it wasn't! found you through some links on myspace :D anyway, hope you're doing well and having fun- ive been enjoying inaka life for the past 4 months : )
take care :)
Elaine
feedtheartist@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

good post good post.
korean food is the best, ね