Monday, September 11, 2006

How about you?

What do you do when someone asks about the difference between discrete and discreet? (Do YOU know?)

How do you explain what an `expression` is to someone who can barely speak English?

How can you convey the subtle sound difference, yet totally different meaning of tear and tear?

What do you do when the celebration lunch for the new teacher involves a salad of squid tenticles?

How do you help someone who`s been hit by a car, when you can`t speak Japanese?

How do you cook when you can`t read the packages in the grocery store?

How do you travel when you can`t read the signs (or even sound them out to ask for directions)

Amazingly, you learn to make do in all these situations. I did ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such dilemmas! I didn't even know that discrete was a word (I looked it up).
I think I'd have to cook everything fresh so I could buy by sight and as for package things, they'd have to have been recommended by someone. As for the other problems, well I just don't know what I'd do! But, as usual, you seem to be finding your way to live with each challenge -- I knew you would. Feel the love I'm sending you?
Gramma

Anonymous said...

And you want me to come and visit you???

Anonymous said...

oh I miss it... but I must say, I never had to assist someone hit by a car- that's a new one.

question: how long can you sit japanese style now? that was the hardest for me- let me tell you...

Anonymous said...

I understand somewhat. That is exactly how my mom and I felt when we were driving in France back in 2004. Though we didn't have the squid tenticles or an injured person.

I did have to find the German word for an idiom though. Lucky for me I could find it in the dictionary. Of course being German it was about 4 times as long as idiom is. :)

And I guess I forgot there was a spelling difference between discrete and discreet. I remember discrete from the calculus and algebra classes I took.

Have fun with Margaret when she is there!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Oye. is it great to hear from you + all your moments of "fun"... or not.

this is material for a film, dear friend, so keep blogging it all!!

love ya,

Anonymous said...

oh. that was posted by me, Alice, btw!